Saturday, June 13, 2009

A weekend in Munich

Greetings from Munich!

What a fantastic city. It took me a couple of hours to get here from Stuttgart and I am staying at a nice hotel close to the center of the city.

I finally got my chance to see what the Autobahn is all about. Previously, I have not been on the parts of the Autobahn that have no speed restrictions.

Now, keep in mind that driving here is different then driving in the US (check my previous blog on driving). Additionally, if you are going to "drop the hammer", you better have all your shit in one bag. By that I mean, stop messing with your coffee, put the phone down, put both hands on the wheel and be completely focused on driving.

As it turns out, the Audi TT I have as a rental tops out around 260 kph (161 mph).

There are not many cars that will hit 300 kph (180) and only a handful of exotic cars that can top 200 mph or 321 kph.

This next part is for my wife, Jodi:

Now Honey, I will admit that this is pretty fast. However, my car was in fine state of tune, traffic was light, and the road was as smooth as a pool table. Additionally, the distance covered by these no speed restrictions is very short. It is much different doing 161 mph then it is in the US. As long as you have an appropriate distance to the car in front of you and are very alert, it is not such a big deal. Cars ahead of me were very observant and moved to the right as I approached.

On a side note, that is the fastest I have ever gone in car.

I will save detailing what I saw today for blog tomorrow. I covered a lot of distance on foot and need to take a shower. I will tell you that I saw some incredible churches. One was built in 1180.

Tomorrow, I plan on seeing the BMW Museum and the Deutsches Museum where some of Galileo's scientific equiment is set up in a mock up of his workshop. How cool is that?

Until tomorrow, signing off from Munich.

No comments:

Post a Comment