Monday, October 3, 2011

At last, I'M AN A-LISTER!

Well, maybe I'm a solid B-Lister.

You have probably all heard the term used to describe the social cream of the crop; those who are on the primary guest list or the "A List". 

I scored an invite to a sought after event which was the farewell party for the members of the Japanese Self Defense Force unit who are responsible for a P-3 (aircraft) counter piracy mission.  They will be leaving shortly and returning to Japan to be replaced by another unit who will pick up the mission.

I must say, it will probably go down as the best party I will attend while at CJTF-HOA.  I headed out this past Tues with a group from the command and we made our way over to the Japanese base on the other side of the airport. 

I was surprised at the size of the guest list which included the US and Japanese Ambassador to Djibouti, local government officials, and high ranking members of the French and German military.

I met up with my Japanese friends from our last get together and headed for the bar.  The sake was cold as I had hoped and, after brief comments from the Japanese Ambassador and the Commanding Officer of the outgoing unit, it was time to eat some hor d'oeuvres.

The food was a real treat!  The spread included 5 kinds of sushi, shrimp tempura, edamame, chicken yackatori, smoked white fish, vegetable dishes, and assorted rice dishes.  Of course, the fish was flown in special for the celebration. 

Also featured was live musical entertainment and a table where a few of the Japanese soldiers were doing Japanese calligraphy.  I asked them to do one that has Chase and Sarah's name on it.  It will serve as a nice memento of the party as well as my time in Africa. 

Turns out that there a several parties at the US Embassy which I am not being invited to so I am probably a B-lister at best. 

Another bit of good news to announce:  I have been selected to participate in the training of the incoming core staff which will take over in Jan 2012.  Why is this good news?  I will doing a bit of travelling to accomplish this task which will take me off base.

First trip is 22 - 29 Oct where I will be in Rammstein, Germany for the week.  Looking forward to some good German food and beer!

The second trip is from 2 - 18 Dec where I will be traveling to Suffolk, VA, of all places!  Suffolk is near Norfolk and Virginia Beach.  It is probably 4 or less hours from home so I will be travelling back to see my Sweetie for the weekend. 

I look forward to getting a start on my "honey do" list!

Until next time,
Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment