Sunday, October 23, 2011

Back to the Fatherland.

Hello All,

Russia is called the "Motherland" but Germany is called the "Fatherland" (and the U.S. is the "Land of milk and honey" or it was at one time).

At any rate, I am back in Germany. 

I just arrived a few hours ago and the trip has gone really well.  I am up here for a week long conference to finalize the training package the new staff will get in December. 

A small group of selected individuals, myself included, left Djibouti Saturday evening from the airport around 7:30 pm.  We were connecting with a flight bound for Frankfort out of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and departed at 10:30 pm. 

We arrived at the very early hours of 5:30 am in Frankfort.  I have come to discover that it is impossible to get anywhere outside of Africa at a normal hour.  The flight was very smooth and I enjoyed a couple of scotches and a couple of beers over the 6.5 hour flight.  I haven't had scotch since I left NC and it tasted good. 

A couple of people I was traveling with had carry on sized bags like I had and they decided to check them.  Apparently, they don't have very much experience traveling in and around Africa.  Once we were all met at the gate, I exclaimed, "You checked your bag?!  What, are you out of your mind!!?".

Sure enough, when we got to Frankfort, their bags were not waiting for them.  They will be lucky to see their luggage before we leave late Thurs night.  Lesson learned, I suppose.  I can tell you that I had NO intentions of parting with my gear.

Each of our two groups picked up rental cars and we were off after a little bite to eat.  The site of the conference is about an hour away and we arrived around 7:30 am.  Great, what ever shall we do for the next 8 hours or so until we can check in (keep in mind most everything is closed in Germany on Sunday).  Well, we were in luck again.  We got to our hotel (mom and pop place with a modern bed and breakfast feel like most hotels in Europe) and the inn keeper had a couple of empty rooms and handed us keys to our rooms.  Jackpot!

As you may recall from my previous post from my time spent in Europe, hotel rooms in Europe are very small by American standards.  I was very surprised to find that my room was the size of a small one bedroom apartment.  Jackpot again.  The first thing I did was take a hot shower in my private bathroom (as opposed to the bathroom I use in DJ which features a row of 8 shower stalls and 8 sinks).

Actually, I think this small 36 room inn used to be an assisted living facility based on its layout.  Jodi would say that this will be good practice for me as I am not getting any younger. 

One thing that I had not really considered was that late October in Germany is much different then late October in Djibouti.  DJ is still seeing highs in the low 90s and evening temps in the mid 70s.  It is actually a pretty pleasant time of the year in the Horn of Africa. 

This morning on our ride out to the hotel it was below freezing!  I really forgot what that felt like.  It felt cold for the record.  As I was getting ready to go to Africa during the hot summer season, I had not given much consideration that I might wind up somewhere cold.  I never gave any thought that I would be sent to the North Pole for a conference! 

May have to pick up something at the Rammstein PX to keep me warm in the evening when we head out for something to eat.  I will also have to have Jodi send me a jacket for my trip to Suffolk, VA, which is the first couple of weeks in December.

It feels great to be back in civilization!  I am looking forward to some really good beer and really good food!  I will keep you posted on how my trip to Germany goes...

Until next time,
Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment