Saturday, June 23, 2012

Clear as mud

Hello Everyone,

Once the word spread that I was taking a new assignment in UAE, it was as if I died.  Emails are down to a trickle as people remove me from their distro list and they even assigned my desk to someone else!  No meeting invites, no phone calls, no emails....just biding my time until my visa gets approved.

There is also some mixed signals on what I will be doing in UAE.  It seemed pretty solid that I would be working with the Presidential Guard.  Now I am hearing that I may be working out of the US embassy.  No one at my command really knows and my emails to points of contact at the embassy go unanswered.

This doesn't surprise me.  My experience has been that Dept of State people don't like those in the military.  Not really sure why.  Many I have met seem a little smug and condescending.  I'm sure I can win them over with my pleasant disposition and helpful nature!  Actually,  Jodi says people are a little standoffish because I am "mean looking".  I will have try to be less "mean looking".

One thing I have been told is that I am going to UAE.  Probably best to just stop asking questions at this point.  I will figure it out when I get there.

My visa might be done this week but if it isn't then after the 4th of July for sure.  This will be my second 4th of July in a foreign country.  Back in '09 I spent the 4th in France.  This year will be a location in the Middle East peninsula.  I can tell you I will be enjoying some traditional fare like a hotdog and it will be 100% beef.  No pork out here, thank you very much.

Other then that, it has been a typical week.  Well, better go do some packing.

Cheers,
Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment