Sunday, June 10, 2012

So, what else do you see in Jordan?

Well, we have seen the pictures from your last post including large quantities of roasted meats, some Middle Eastern pipe thing.  What else did you see?

Last weeks post was actually the second half of my trip.  In addition to my day job, I also took on the role of cultural ambassador from the US.  Because of my charming personality, cultural awareness, and pleasant disposition, I was especially well suited for my additional duties after hours.

The first portion of my trip was spent down in southern Jordan at a small outpost near the Saudi border.  The first two weekends featured reduced operating hours so folks could take advantage of "cultural days".    The command set up a different trip for each weekend.  The purpose of cultural days are so that Jordanians can be exposed to Americans (and vice versa), we put a little money into the economy, and see something interesting at the same time.

One trip was to the Dead Sea and to a spot on Jordan River where it is said Jesus was baptized.  This would have been a cool trip but I missed it because I had already been sent to another training area 2 hours north.

The other trip was to the ancient city of Petra.  Petra is one of the 7 ancient wonders of the world.  It was really something to see the rather well preserved ruins of this city which dates back to 100 BC or so.  I think the oldest thing I have seen to date was weapons and armor from the 1100's when I was in Germany back in 2009.  So, this is now the oldest thing seen to date.

Jodi has been to China so she has seen things probably from 4000 BC.

Anyway, Petra is a city that has largely been carved into the cliffs.  You enter the city by walking down a passageway flanked by cliffs several hundred feet high.  It was really pretty breath taking and hard to capture in words or pictures.

You exit this 1200m passageway at the treasury, past a 7000 seat coliseum, through the old city, and then climb 900 stairs stretching over a mile and finish the journey at the monastery.


the coliseum

ancient cogs

the monestary


the high walled entrance to Petra

My cultural trip was the highlight of Jordan and I am happy to say I have been to such a historic site.

Not much else going on here.  We normally work Sunday through Thurs.  Those who went to Exercise Eager Lion were given an extra day off last week and this week.  This being Sunday, I would normally be working instead of typing out a blog entry.

The extra day off has got some downside to it.  Turns out I am pretty bored on days I don't work. Bahrain is a small island and you can only walk around the mall so many times.  Honestly, Djibouti had more going for it as far as filling downtime.  Hard to believe I am saying that.  Of course, the living conditions are much better here but everyone does their own thing when not at work.  At Djibouti, we were all kind of trapped there so there was more camaraderie.

Well, that is about it for now.  I think I am supposed to go to Oman at the end of this upcoming week so that will be a new stamp in my passport.

Jodi is doing great running the house by herself and I miss her dearly!

Until next time,
Michael



No comments:

Post a Comment