Saturday, November 10, 2012

Happy 237th!

Hello All,

Time again for the annual trifecta.

Today, 10 Nov, is the birthday of my beloved United States Marine Corps.  237 years ago, the Marine Corps was founded and we promptly started recruiting at Tun Tavern in Philadelphia, PA.  I think the signing bonus back then was a free beer.

Here in Bahrain, we had our traditional birthday celebration, the Marine Corps Ball.  As far as MC balls go, it was decent.  A little over priced as always but nice to get together with the gang on a social basis.  I don't have my Dress Blues here so I wore the suit I had made a few months ago.

I think me and Uncle Ed are the only US Marines in the family.  Be sure to tell him "happy birthday".  He will probably pretend he doesn't know what you are talking about but he does and he will appreciate you mentioning it to him.

It is also Veterans' Day weekend.  This is a time when we remember all the veterans out there who made sacrifices (some of them the ultimate sacrifice) so that the rest of society could live under the umbrella of freedom that comes with being an American citizen.

My family has a rich history of military service with members of every generation raising their right hand and swearing to protect and defend the constitution of the United States.  I think everyone of us knows a veteran.  This is the weekend to reach out to them and thank them for their service.

So, to all the vets out there... thank you for all that you have done.  You can probably look back and remember so tough times.  You made it through them and you made a difference.

And the third element of this trifecta week?  My birthday.  Hard to believe that I will be 47.  My generation is now "our parents' age".  Remember when you were a kid and you parents were 40?  It seemed pretty old at the time.  It doesn't feel that old now that I am in my 40s, lol!  Time marches on.

Not much lined up for Nov.   I will be going to Oman at the end of the month.  I have never been there so it will be another new stamp in my passport.

That it for now.  Have a great week.

Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment